Last Updated: September 7, 2018
- Information We Collect and How We Collect It
- Information that You Voluntarily Provide to Us
- Information that We Collect Through Your use of the Services
- How We Use Collected Information
- How We Share Collected Information
- Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Information (EEA Only)
- International Transfers of Your Personal Information
- Information Security
- How Long We Retain Your Personal Information
- Your Rights and Choices Regarding Your Personal Information
- Access by Children
- Third-Party Websites and Services
- Contact Us
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
The information that we may collect from or about you broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information that you voluntarily provide to us, for example, your contact information, Gilson account information, payment information, job applications, and user-generated content (such as product reviews).
- Information that we collect through your use of the Services (including this website), for example, data collected by the servers used to operate the Services (e.g., IP addresses), location information, data collected by cookies, data collected by analytics and advertising services, data collected when you connect using or share information via social media platforms, data collected by embedded content, and, with respect to GilsonConnected users, experiment data and instrument-based data.
Information that You Voluntarily Provide to Us
Account and Administrative Information. To create a Gilson account you will need to provide your name, your email address, the name of your company for whose purposes you are creating the Gilson account, and the country you are located in, as well as your billing address, shipping address, and telephone number.
GilsonConnected Accounts. Gilson makes available certain online services and related mobile applications that are designed with the mission of enabling verifiable science and making lab life easier for researchers (together, including all related materials, Connected Instruments (as defined below), and underlying technology, "GilsonConnected"). GilsonConnected users may be able to create subgroups or "teams" within your Gilson account, where that option is available, and you may be able to populate your Gilson account with other types of information that you choose to provide, for example, your title, the name of your employer, the name of any institution with which you are affiliated, and your fields of research.
Payment & Order Information. Purchases of products must be made by credit card or purchase order and your payment options may vary by your location. All credit and debit card information is provided directly to our PCI-compliant third-party payment processor. Gilson does not directly access or handle your credit or debit card information. To make a purchase, you will need to provide your name and your credit or debit card type, number, expiration date, security code, billing address, shipping address, Gilson name and telephone number. We will maintain a record of the purchases that you make using the Services. We encourage you to review our payment processors" privacy policies (to the extent they apply), which are located at: CyberSource Privacy Statement and Global Payments Privacy Statement
Requests for Quotes and Information. To request a quote for a Gilson product or to request information via our website you will need to provide your contact information (as discussed above) and, as applicable, details of the product(s) or information in which you are interested.
Additionally, users may have the option of submitting resumes and related materials to Gilson via email. We may use your job application, resume, and related materials to evaluate your qualifications and to otherwise consider or respond to your application for employment or employment inquiry. Your submission of a job application, resume, or related materials does not in any way require Gilson to review those materials or consider you for employment.
User-Generated Content. You are responsible for any comments, data, text, images, video, audio, and other content and material that you create, post, transmit, upload, publish, distribute, broadcast, submit, or otherwise provide via the Services, including by posting reviews of Gilson products (together, "User-Generated Content"). User-Generated Content that you provide is posted on the Services at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that User-Generated Content you provide will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. You understand that, even after removal, copies of User-Generated Content you have provided may remain viewable in cached and archived pages and may have been copied or stored by Internet archives and other users of the Services. For more information on User-Generated Content, please review the Gilson Terms of Service.
Live Chat Conversations. If you use any chat feature on this website or any of our other Services, we will collect all text and other information that you may provide or input using that feature. If you use a chat feature while signed into your Gilson account, we may link that information to your account.
Information that We Collect Through Your Use of the Services
IP Addresses, Location Data, and Related Data. When you visit this website or otherwise use the Services, we may automatically collect certain information from your device. In some countries, including countries in the EEA, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws. Specifically, the servers used to operate and provide the Services may collect data pertaining to you and the equipment, software, and communication methods you use to access the Internet and the Services, including Internet protocol ("IP") addresses assigned to the computer and other devices from where you access the Internet, your Internet service provider (ISP), your device ID number, your approximate geographic location, your browser type, the pages you access on the Services, the websites you access before and after visiting the Services, the length of time you spend on the Services, date and time stamps, and clickstream data. Gilson may use this information to administer the Services and their servers, to generate statistical information, to monitor and analyze website traffic and usage patterns, to monitor and help prevent fraud, to investigate complaints and violations of our policies, and to improve Services content and the products, services, materials, and other content that we describe or make available through the Services (see also how we use analytics services as described below). We may combine this information with other Collected Information (including other personal information) and information obtained from third parties for security reasons and to protect our rights or the rights of others as discussed below. The suppliers that we use to provide the Services may collect information about your visits to our and other websites. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technologies as explained further below under "Cookies."
Location Information. In addition to the approximate geographic location information collected as discussed above, we may, with your consent, access your location to enhance your user experience and increase the usefulness of the Services. This includes both geographical location information that you input using the Services and, as applicable, geographical location information collected by device-based location services (including GPS data). You may choose to allow us to access your location by granting the Services access to your location when prompted by the Services or through your device's location services settings. Gilson may use various technologies to access your location, including IP addresses.
Experiment Data and Instrument-Based Data (GilsonConnected Users Only). Gilson will collect all data and other information that you provide while using GilsonConnected or that is collected by any Connected Instrument that is set up to communicate with GilsonConnected, where "Connected Instrument" means Gilson-provided pipettes or other qualifying sensors or instruments that have been enabled with Bluetooth or similar connectivity that allows those instruments to gather data and communicate with GilsonConnected. This includes both information that you may manually enter into GilsonConnected (e.g., the identity of a substance being sampled and protocol checklists) and information that is automatically collected (e.g., volume measurements, the temperature of the room, and information on the performance of the Connected Instrument). Information that is automatically collected by the Connected Instruments also includes data on how Connected Instruments are used, such as the speed at which substances are aspirated and the angle at which a Connected Instrument is held or positioned.
- Operationally necessary. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our websites. For example, these cookies are required to identify irregular website behavior, prevent fraudulent activity, and improve security. They also allow users of our websites to make use of their functions, for example, shopping carts, saved search, and similar functions. Without these cookies, services that you have requested cannot be provided.
- Functionality related. These cookies allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using our websites. This may include remembering choices you make, for example and as applicable, remembering your username, preferences, or settings, remembering if you reacted to something on or through our websites so that you are not asked to do it again, remembering if you have used any feature of our websites before, restricting the number of times you are shown a particular advertisement, remembering your location, and enabling social media components. As described above, you may disable functional cookies, but if you do so then various functions of our websites may be unavailable to you or may not work the way you want them to.
- Performance related. These cookies assess the performance of our websites, including as part of our analytic practices to help us understand how visitors use and interact with our websites, for example, which pages on our websites users visit most often. These cookies also enable us to personalize content and remember your preferences (e.g., your choice of language, country, or region). These cookies help us improve the way our websites work and provide a better, personalized user experience. Some of our performance-related cookies are managed for us by third parties. However, we don"t allow those third parties to use the cookies for any purpose other than those listed above.
- Advertising or targeted related These cookies record your visits to our websites, the pages you have visited on our websites, and the links you have clicked. They gather information about your browsing habits and remember that you have visited a particular website. Gilson and its third-party advertising platforms or networks may use this information to make our websites, their content, and advertisements displayed on our websites more relevant to your interests (this is sometimes called "behavioral" or "targeted" advertising and is further discussed below). These types of cookies are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. To find out more about interest-based ads and your choices, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance, the Network Advertising Initiative, the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Europe, http://www.allaboutcookies.org, and http://www.youronlinechoices.com.
Advertising Networks, Personalized Advertising, Remarketing, and Retargeting; Google Analytics" Advertising Features. From time to time certain of our Services may participate in or use advertising networks and related advertising services that are managed and provided by third-party advertising servers, advertising agencies, technology vendors, and research firms. These services collect information about your visits to and interactions with the applicable Service and other websites and will use that information to target advertisements for goods and services. These targeted advertisements may appear on the applicable Service or on other websites. Advertising networks often gather data about consumers who view advertisements to make inferences about a consumer's interests and preferences, which enables their computers to deliver advertisements targeted directly to the consumer's specific interests. This practice is often referred to as "online behavioral advertising." For example, a third-party advertising network might collect information on the type of Internet browser you use, the type of computer operating system you use, the domain name of a website you visit, whether or not you visit specific pages of the applicable Service or other websites, the location of your Internet service provider, the date and time of a visit to a website, and other interactions between you and websites.
Additionally, we may enable and implement the following Google Analytics Advertising Features on the Services: Remarketing with Google Analytics, Demographics and Interest Reporting, Segments, DoubleClick Campaign Manager Integration, and DoubleClick Bid Manager Integration. Remarketing with Analytics uses Google Analytics cookies to serve advertisements to you across the Internet based on your visits to the Services. Demographics and Interest Reporting uses a third-party cookie to collect information about Services traffic by tracking users across websites and across time, which generates a report for us to better understand users of the Services. Segments allows us to isolate and analyze subsets of Services users by sorting our Google Analytics data. DoubleClick Campaign Manager Integration and DoubleClick Bid Manager Integration allow us to view, analyze, and create remarketing lists using our DoubleClick Campaign data. To opt out of remarketing advertising provided through Google, to customize your ad preferences, or to limit Google's collection or use this information, visit Google's Safety Center and Google's Ad Settings and follow Google's personalized ad opt-out instructions. Opting out will not affect your use of the Services.
To change your preferences with respect to certain online ads and to obtain more information about third-party ad networks and online behavioral advertising, please visit the National Advertising Initiative Consumer opt-out page or the Digital Advertising Alliance Self-Regulatory Program. Please remember that changing your settings with individual browsers or ad networks will not necessarily carry over to other browsers or ad networks. As a result, depending on the opt-outs you request, you may still see our ads from time to time.
The Services may also use the advertising services and networks offered by those social media platforms to deliver advertising content. Use of these services requires social media platforms to implement cookies or pixel tags to deliver ads to you while you are logged into the platform.
If you do not wish a social media platform to collect information relating to you via the Services, we suggest that you: (a) do not connect to or share information with that social media platform using the Services; (b) hide social media platform plug-ins using an ad blocker; (c) always log off completely from the social media platform before visiting other websites and delete all related cookies; and, (d) where the option made available by the social media platform, disable the advertising services and networks operated by that platform. For example, you may opt out of Twitter's interest-based advertising by notifying Twitter through one of the methods it describes here.
Gilson's Social Media Pages. Gilson is active on social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. You may have the opportunity to comment on those social media platforms regarding Gilson and the products and services we offer. Gilson reserves the rights to post on its websites and social media pages any comments or content that you post on our social media pages.
Information that We Obtain from Third-Party Sources. From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources (including exhibition partners or E-marketplace partners) but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us. The types of information we collect from third parties include name, company, email and we use the information we receive from these third parties to potentially contact you with more information about Gilson products and services.
How We Use Collected Information
- We use Collected Information for the purpose for which it was collected.
- We use Collected Information to communicate with you.
- If you are a GilsonConnected user, we use Collected Information to generate reports relating to your use of GilsonConnected and to recommend laboratory and related practices to you.
- We use Collected Information to evaluate and improve our products and services, including the Services, and to aggregate data on Service users.
- We use Collected Information to secure our services and protect our rights and interests.
Generation of Reports (GilsonConnected Users Only). If you use GilsonConnected, we will use and analyze Collected Information consisting of experiment data and Connected Instrument-based data to generate exportable data, reports, and other materials for you, which materials will be made available via the Services. These materials may include, for example, guidance on how you can adjust your use of Connected Instruments.
Recommendations (GilsonConnected Users Only). If you use GilsonConnected, we will use Collected Information to recommend to you laboratory and related practices based on how you use GilsonConnected and the Connected Instruments and in accordance with your communications preferences.
Evaluation and Improvement of the Services, User Demographics, and Aggregation. We may use and disclose Collected Information: to analyze, develop, and improve the content, materials, products, and services that we make available (including the Services and the Services' functionality); to inform marketing and communication plans and strategies; to understand the Services" demographics and user preferences; and to evaluate Service user needs and customize Services content, promotional emails, and users" browsing experience. We may also aggregate personal information and other Collected Information to create aggregate data on Services users that describes users as a group but does not reveal the identity of individual users. We may use aggregate data to understand Service user needs, to determine Service user demographics and usage patterns, to determine what kinds of products and services we can provide, and to improve and enrich our products, our services, and the Services.
Security and Protection of Rights. Gilson will use Collected Information if we believe doing so is necessary to operate the Services or to protect our rights or the rights of others, including disclosing information necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action in the event of a violation of our contracts, terms, or policies.
How We Share Collected Information
We describe above some specific ways that we share your data. However, unless you give us your permission, we generally will not share your personal information or other Collected Information with third parties except as described below.
SciNote (GilsonConnected Users Only). If you registered for a SciNote account when you created your Gilson account, we may share anonymized experiment data and Connected Instrument-based data with SciNote, LLC and its affiliates, as applicable, in connection with their provision of products and services to you. SciNote may use that Collected Information to organize and populated its electronic lab notebook and to otherwise provide its software products and services to you.
To Protect Gilson and Others. We may share your personal information and other Collected Information with law enforcement, regulatory authorities, courts with competent jurisdictions, emergency services, and other necessary third parties for legal, protection, security, and safety purposes, including: (a) to comply with laws or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests and legal process; (b) to perform credit checks, report or collect debts owed; (c) to protect the rights and property of Gilson, its agents and customers, and others, including to enforce our agreements, policies, and terms and to protect our network and physical assets; and (d) to protect the safety of our employees, agents, and customers, and any other person.
Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Information (EEA Only)
If you are an individual from the EEA, our legal basis for collecting and using personal information will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where: (a) we have your consent to do so; (b) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you (e.g., to deliver services you have requested); or (c) where the processing is in our or a third party's legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If you have any questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided further below provided below under "Contact Us."
International Transfers of Your Personal Information
In operating the Services, your personal information may be transferred to, stored in, and processed in countries other than the country in which you are resident. Those countries may have data protection laws that are different from those of your country and, in some cases, may not be as protective. Specifically, our website servers and some of our service providers are located in the United States and our affiliated companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in other countries.
How Long We Retain Your Personal Information
With regard to personal information collected using Google Analytics as discussed above, that information will be retained for 26 months after your last activity on the Services.
For personal information that we process on behalf of our customers, we will retain that personal information in accordance with the terms of our agreement with them, subject to applicable law.
Your Rights and Choices Regarding Your Personal Information
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by visiting your Gilson account or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition, if you are a resident of the European Union, you can object to the processing of your personal information, you can ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, and you can request portability of your personal information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact information provided below under "Contact Us."
- You have the right to opt out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the "unsubscribe" or "opt out" link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt out of other forms of marketing, such as postal marketing or telemarketing, if applicable, then please contact us using the contact information provided below under "Contact Us."
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- If you are a resident of France, you may provide us with instructions regarding the manner in which we may continue to store, erase, and share your information after your death, and, where applicable, the person you have designated to exercise these rights after your death.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information please contact your local data protection authority. Contact information for data protection authorities in the EEA are available here.
- For details on how to manage your preferences for cookies and tracking technologies within your web browser, please read the information provided above under "Cookies."
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Access by Children
The Services are not directed at children under 16 years of age. Gilson does not knowingly collect or use information from children under 16 through the Services. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 16 has provided personal information to us through the Services, please contact us at email@example.com and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete that information.
Third-Party Websites and Services
P.O. Box 620027
Middleton, WI 53562-0027
Tel. 806-836-1551 or 800-445-7661
19, Avenue des Entrepreneurs, BP 145, F-95400 Villiers le Bel
Alternatively, you can contact our Data Protection Officer is located at our address in France and can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a resident of the EEA, please note that the data controller responsible for your personal information is Gilson S.A.S. in France and Gilson, Inc. in the United States.